Brief History of UPV Library

Aware of the significant role that a library plays in the academic community, Dr. Tomas Fonacier, the founding dean, provided for the development of the college library in Iloilo City. As early as April 1947 or even earlier with the impending establishment of the college, the librarian was requested to help the Dean prepare a list of books that would forma nucleus of the College Library. However, preparation of such list were unnecessarily delayed and at the same time, the librarian was also requested by the Dean to nominate a librarian for the college in order that the appointee could immediately take over the work preparation and orientation. It was only until about the beginning of the second semester when Mrs. Soledad Mandac-Eugenio was finally nominated and appointed.

The initial collection was 522 volumes of books, 8 newspapers and 73 magazines. On the second year of its operations, the collection rose to 1,711 volumes. These were all serviced in a one-room quarter when in 1967, a mezzanine was built to accommodate more space for the students. 1969, another room was offered to the library to provide additional reading area and shelving space. The court room and the Lozano Hall were utilized to the fullest.

In June 1988, the College of Fisheries Library started its full operation in Miagao.

In May 15, 1991, with the transfer of the College of Arts & Sciences in Miagao, all the other offices including the library transferred from the city campus.

 

The library in UP Visayas has had several librarians at its helm up to the present.

Mrs. Soledad M. Eugenio (1947-1954)
Mrs. Alicia C. Betita (1954-1956)
Ms. Lilia Elequin-Tabalbo (1956-1976)
Ms. Teresita R. Ledesma (1976-2007)
Ms. Ana T. Mones (2008-
Ms. Analiza G. Linaugo
(2016-present)

 

 


⇐Unit Libraries About Us Library Staff⇒