UPV searches for a new Chancellor
The University Philippines set into motion the search process for the next UP Visayas Chancellor when UP President Danilo Concepcion issued AO No. PDLC –17- 35 on August 3, 2017.
A search committee was formed to manage the search process. The 2017 Search Committee for the Chancellor of UPV is chaired by Dr. Kevin Henry Villanueva with the following members representing the various sectors of UPV: Dr. Joy Lizada (senior faculty), Prof. Mary Ann Gumban (junior faculty), Febe Carmen (REPS), Brian Sapinosa (administrative staff), Therese Arianne Samson (student), and Vice-President Joselito Florendo as the UP President’s representative.
Two nominees are vying for the position. They are: Dr. Ricardo P. Babaran and Dr. Philip Ian P. Padilla.
Both nominees have submitted a 3-5 Point Agenda, featuring the salient points of their vision paper for UPV. Dr.Babaran’s agenda included:
- Strengthening Academic programs
- Integrating the establishment of The Hub of Institutional Synergy, Integration, Sustainability, and Impact Transfer (THISISIT!) for Agri-Fisheries in the Philippines with UPV’s operations, strengthening of academic programs, and internationalization agenda through the ASEAN Centre on Fisheries
- Laying the groundwork for supporting the emerging bid of UPVTC to become the 9th constituent university of UP
- Integration of health and wellness agenda into the university’s operational policies to address apparently high incidence of cancer cases among faculty and staff at UPV’s Miag-ao campus
Meanwhile Dr. Padilla’s 3-5 Point Agenda included the following:
- Health Promotion and Wellness
- Promoting Excellence (academic and administrative)
- Arts Appreciation and Promotion
- Increasing Research Productivity
- Development of more Training modules for Public Service
Babaran is a faculty member of the UPV College of Fisheries and Ocean Sciences where he also earned his BS Fisheries degree. He graduated with an MS Engineering from the University of Washington and earned his Ph.D. in Fisheries Science at Kagoshima University. He is currently the Vice-Chancellor for Research and Extension.
Padilla is also an alumnus of UPV at the College of Arts and Sciences particularly at the Division of Biological Sciences where he finished his BS Biology undergraduate degree. He finished his Doctor of Medicine from UP Manila and his Ph.D. in Medical Science at Nagasaki University. He served as UP Faculty Regent from January 2015 to January 2017.
The Search Committee presented the candidates, along with their vision for UPV, during a public forum on September 13, 2017 at the auditorium of the UPV Iloilo City campus. The Committee also held sectoral consultations for the Iloilo city campus personnel held in the afternoon of the same day. The Miagao sectoral consultations were scheduled on September 14.
The Search Committee organized the presentation of candidates and consultation at the UPV Tacloban campus on September 18, 2017. Thereafter, it will consolidate its report and submit it to the Office of the UP President. The UP Board of Regents will vote to select the next UPV Chancellor whose term will begin on Nov. 1, 2017.
Before the end of the term of current Chancellor Rommel Espinosa on October 31, 2017, it is expected that UPV would already know who will be its next Chancellor.