UPV GPO | Frequently Asked Questions

Residence, Leaves and Readmissions

        A graduate student is said to be 'in residence' when he/she is officially enrolled – whether he/she is on campus for course work requirements or off-campus for his/her research work. In the latter case, approval of his/her Thesis/Dissertation Committee is necessary.  The student should be enrolled for residency at least one (1) year prior to the conferment of his/her degree.

        He/she may request in writing for a leave of absence (LOA) for at least a semester/trimester from the Dean of the college/ school concerned. Approval of LOA is granted for not more than one year at a time.  In case he/she leaves his/her work during an academic term without such formal permit is considered absent without leave (AWOL) and loses his/her registration privileges.  Any leave period of a graduate student is accounted for as part of his/her residence in the program pursued. To graduate within the allowed residence period of their respective programs, the total leave time of any student should not exceed two academic years.

        If a graduate student withdrew without a formal LOA for at least one academic term, he/she must apply for readmission into his/her graduate program at the appropriate division/department/institute.  When he/she returns from any leave for one or more academic term without having completed the prescribed program requirements within the allowed residency period, he/she needs to apply for readmission.  An application for a waiver of the residency rule is further required of those who would be beyond the allowed residency period upon their return from leaves.

        To be eligible for readmission, a master’s student must have a GWA of "2.0" or better in all graduate-level courses taken in the program; a doctoral student must have a GWA of  "1.75" or better.  If the student withdraws after ¾ of the total number of hours prescribed for the course has already elapsed, the graduate faculty submits a grade of “5.0” for him/her if his/her class standing up to the time of his/her withdrawal is below “3.0”.