UPV GPO | Frequently Asked Questions

Advance or Transfer of Credits

      A graduate student may apply for a maximum of nine units of advance or transfer credits for work done at another institution with the appropriate division/department/institute within the term of his/her initial enrollment in the degree program pursued. Such units should have been earned with grades of 2.0 (or its UP equivalent) or better within the last five (5) years and have not been credited to a previously earned degree. The validation examination(s) required shall be conducted within the first year of enrollment of the student.

   Advance credits, which are subject to validation, may be earned from courses taken at institutions outside of the UP System. Transfer credits may be directly earned from courses taken at other UP units. Courses taken that may be considered equivalent to those required in the program pursued are subject to substitution by the division/department/institute concerned. Units for undergraduate courses cannot be credited for graduate work.

       The substitution of courses in the student's approved program of study shall be in accordance with University rules and regulations.